Cases rise by 1m in five days; 5.4m Americans have lost their health insurance; Hong Kong reimposes social distancing measures. Follow the latest updatesGlobal cases pass 13mWHO chief warns against ‘shortcuts’California orders closure of bars and indoor operations of restaurants and theatres‘Compelling’ evidence air pollution worsens coronavirus – study Fauci sidelined as Trump’s White House steps up briefing campaign 2.53am BST The Australian state of Victoria has recorded 270 new cases of coronavirus, which brings the national total to about 10,250.The state of New South Wales has recorded 13 new cases of coronavirus to 8pm last night. Of those, two are returned travellers in hotel quarantine, and one is a known close contact of a previous overseas case who was isolated prior to becoming infectious. 2.43am BST Here’s the latest from Hong Kong, which will impose strict new social distancing measures from midnight Tuesday, the most stringent in the Asian financial hub since the coronavirus broke out, as authorities warn the risk of a large-scale outbreak is extremely high.The measures dictate that face masks will be mandatory for people using public transport and restaurants will no longer provide dine in services and only offer takeaway after 6pm, Reuters reports. Both are new rules that were not implemented during the city’s first and second coronavirus waves earlier this year. If a person does not wear a mask on public transport, they face a fine of HK$5,000 ($645).Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Monday the government would limit group gatherings to four people from 50 – a measure last seen during a second wave in March. Twelve types of establishments including gyms and places of amusement must shut for a week.“The recent emergence of local cases of unknown infection source indicates the existence of sustained silent transmission in the community,” the government said in a statement late on Monday.The Chinese-ruled city recorded 52 new cases of coronavirus on Monday, including 41 that were locally transmitted, health authorities said. Lam said the measures were the result of a three-way tug of war between considerations related to public health, economic impact and social acceptability and that the city may need to co-exist with the virus for a period of time. Continue reading…
Via: Coronavirus live news: global Covid-19 cases pass 13m as WHO warns against 'shortcuts'

Categories: English News

Related Posts

English News

PIERS MORGAN: A phone call I received from a fired-up Trump should be a warning to Democrats

President Trump called me for a chat on Saturday. It was our first conversation since he unfollowed me on Twitter in April after I wrote a Mail column telling him to ‘Shut the f*ck up Read more…

English News

Viewers stunned after Family Fortune contestant gives very naughty answer

Kash Popat, from Harrow, a contestant on ITV’s Family Fortunes, left everyone speechless after her answer to ‘something you put in you mouth but don’t swallow’ was bleeped on the family show. Via: Viewers stunned Read more…

English News

Allies say Boris Johnson 'WILL u-turn and provide more cash to feed poor children'

Boris Johnson insisted he was ‘very proud’ of the way the government had supported families during the pandemic, including handing tens of millions extra to councils and increasing universal credit. Via: Allies say Boris Johnson Read more…